Quick Chicken Pot Pie

My family loves chicken pot pie.  It's a winner with both kids, comes together quickly, and we typically have leftovers so we can eat it for two nights so it's a winner in my book too.  This particular recipe started off in The America's Test Kichen: Quick Family Cookbook and I've adjusted it to be a little more to our liking.  Usually I make up the filling during nap time as shredding the chicken can be a bit of a mess and then pop it into the toaster oven shortly before dinner but even if I have to make it all at once I love that it doesn't take an hour in the oven after having to cook everything together.  Quick dinner= AWESOME!

Quick Chicken Pot Pie---- That's What She Crafted



To begin wash your mushrooms.  I buy the pre-sliced mushrooms because half the time I can find them on "manager's special" and because I'm a wee bit lazy.  So if you bought whole mushrooms slice them up post bath and put them on a microwave safe plate lined with 2 layers of coffee filters.  We only have the small ones so I usually use 4-6 total filters depending on how many came out of the box when I grabbed them.  You want the plate to be covered though because the filters soak up a lot of the liquid that the mushrooms will give off as they cook.  Microwave until softened, about 7 minutes.  i forgot a before picture so this after cooking picture will have to do!

Mushrooms-- That's What She Crafted

While the mushrooms are taking their spin, combine shredded chicken, Boursin, broth, cream, cornstarch, salt and pepper to taste in large saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.  The recipe calls for you to crumble the Boursin when adding it to the pot but honestly, I don't because I don't want to waste any of that cheesy goodness by having it stick to my hands so I just stir and mash the clumps.





[gallery columns="2" type="rectangular" ids="320,328"]



While you are waiting for the sauce to thicken, if you are like me you've forgotten to "thaw" your peas and carrots so throw those into the colander for a bath under some cool water to quick thaw them.

Thawing Peas and Carrots-- That's What She Crafted


After the sauce has thickened stir in microwaved mushrooms and peas and carrots.

Finished Filling-- That's What She Crafted


Transfer to 9-inch deep dish pie plate.  Depending on how much chicken or veggies you may have added extra or maybe you didn't measure the chicken amount you put in you may not want to put all the filling in the pie dish.  I typically leave out about 1/2 cup to a full cup although when I made it this time I made it I only used 3 chicken thighs and used all of the filling in the pie.  In any case, leave some space so that when the sauce starts bubbling it doesn't bubble over too much making a mess!

Filling In-- That's What She Crafted


This is the point I stop at as I put together this pie usually during nap time.  Depending on how much time we have until dinner I will cover and refrigerate or I just let it sit on the stove until about half hour to an hour before I want to serve dinner.   The last part is easy enough for me to do with two little ones running underfoot.


Carefully lay pie crust over top.  Tuck overhanging dough underneath itself to be flush with the rim of the pie plate so you don't end up with burned edges.  Cut three 1-inch steam vents into the top of dough.  Please excuse the not so pretty pie crust.  I realized after I started that I forgot to buy pie crust and had to make it up quick.  Probably should have left it in the freezer a little longer before rolling it out.

Pie Crust On-- That's What She Crafted


I recommend when baking this to put the pie plate on a lined cookie sheet to catch any bubbling over that may occur.  Bake  at 425 degrees until filling is bubbling and crust is browned, about 25 minutes, rotating pie plate halfway through baking. Let cool slightly and serve.




[gallery type="rectangular" ids="321,322"]






Quick Chicken Pot Pie
SERVES 4 to 6



For connivence use a store bought rotisserie chicken-- I find that 3 cups is about both breast pieces and one thigh piece.  If I haven't picked up a chicken from the store I will also boil 3-4 thigh pieces or 3 breast pieces (I typically have chicken of some cut in the freezer).
Store bought pie crust makes for a quicker pie (unless you already have some made up in your freezer) but if you have the time you can make it as well.

8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and quartered (I bought 8 oz sliced and left them as is)

3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken

1 (5.2 ounce) package Boursin cheese: Garlic and Herbs

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch

salt and pepper

2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed

1 refrigerated Pie Crust (Store bought comes with 2 crusts, you only need 1 for this recipe)



1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees (or hold off on this if you will be making the filling ahead of time).  Microwave mushrooms on plate lined with 2 layers of coffee filters until softened, about 7 minutes.


2.  Meanwhile, combine shredded chicken, Boursin, broth, cream, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.


3. Stir in microwaved mushrooms and peas and carrots.  Season with salt and peper to taste.


4. Transfer to 9-inch deep dish pie plate.


5. Carefully lay pie crust over top.  Tuck overhanging dough underneath itself to be flush with the rim of the pie plate.  Cut three 1-inch steam vents into the top of dough.


6. Bake until filling is bubbling and crust is browned, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve.




Happy Eating!

Viever


No comments:

Post a Comment